Jun 18, 2013

Eclipse cannot start, Java was started but returned exit code=1

The eclipse problem puzzled me for a long time, and sometimes it can be solved by a reboot. But this is very inconvenient if I have many files working at hand. The ini file I use is like below:

-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.2.0.v20110502.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.1.100.v20110502
-product
com.springsource.sts.ide
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256M
-vm
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_38\bin\javaw.exe
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.6
-Xmn128m
-Xms40m
-Xmx512m
-Xss1m
-XX:PermSize=128m
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m

I tried many ways to solve this problem, but none of them worked.


And I tried to re-install the latest JDK and JRE, and use the raw ini file, which is like below:
-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.2.0.v20110502.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.1.100.v20110502
-product
com.springsource.sts.ide
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
384M
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
-Xmn128m
-Xms256m
-Xmx768m
-Xss1m
-XX:PermSize=128m
-XX:MaxPermSize=384m

It works.

I don't know whether his can solve your problem, but it's worth to have a try.

[Update~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~]

I found the problem happened again, so it looks that reinstall JDK/JRE doesn't solve the problem. I found out that it's because I am using 1up Bins which is a taskbar icon plugin, and this has some conflicts. I killed Bins.exe from task manager, then Eclipse was able to run again. And the problem never happens anymore.

If you find this article useful, please click the advertisement to help! Thank you.

10 comments:

Vijay Krishnan said...

This is a pure JVM issue. Probably you are pointing to a 64bit JVM and have 32 bit eclipse version or vice versa.

Sai said...

Thanks Vijay for your interest.
Just want to what I had experienced: I was thinking it was a JVM problem too. So in the eclipse.ini file I especially added a parameter as: -vm
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_38\bin\javaw.exe to specify the JVM to be used.
But the problem still existed.
I even tried to redownload eclipse install JDK again etc. but didn't work. Finally I found it's caused by the Bins tool.
So my suggestion is that: if people have Bins installed, they can try to uninstall Bins. If not, they may try to configure the VM parameter. They can refer to the configuration in the post.

Anonymous said...

Wow, after getting the same error and being frustrated about it for weeks (installed JRE in all shapes and sizes and even reinstalled Windows from scratch), this pointed me in the right direction:
I have a nice little tool to minimize programs to the system tray (4t Tray Minimizer) and after killing the process, Eclipse starts as it is supposed to!

Sai said...

Hello, thank you for your feedback and I am glad that it helped you. I will be posting all the time.

varsha said...

Great content thanks for sharing this informative blog which provided me technical information keep posting.
aws training in chennai | aws training in annanagar | aws training in omr | aws training in porur | aws training in tambaram | aws training in velachery

jeni said...

Thank you so much for sharing these amazing tips. I must say you are an incredible writer, I love the way that you describe the things. Please keep sharing.
hardware and networking training in chennai

hardware and networking training in velachery

xamarin training in chennai

xamarin training in velachery

ios training in chennai

ios training in velachery

iot training in chennai

iot training in velachery

shiny said...

Articles are inspiring,Great Information's are shared here.I look forward to your writing



web designing training in chennai

web designing training in annanagar

digital marketing training in chennai

digital marketing training in annanagar

rpa training in chennai

rpa training in annanagar

tally training in chennai

tally training in annanagar

deiva said...

Really nice experience you have. Thank you for sharing. It will surely be an experience to someone.
java training in chennai

java training in omr

aws training in chennai

aws training in omr

python training in chennai

python training in omr

selenium training in chennai

selenium training in omr



rokki said...

wow amazing! the article gives me clear knowledge about the java program. its works very well and just run this program as well as its truly working the data that you shared. keep uploading more programs to practice.

Aws Training in Chennai

Aws Training in Velachery

Aws Training in Tambaram

Aws Training in Porur

Aws Training in Omr

Aws Training in Annanagar

David Fincher said...

This post is so interactive and informative.keep update more information...
RPA Training in Tambaram
RPA Training in Chennai